Sunday 17 June 2012

Episode LXXIII - Of Deities and Other Animals, Part II


            It happened late one afternoon, as the sun was drifting down behind the mountains and the cool of evening was just beginning to settle in the shaded places of my temple.  Barnabas had been out in the jungle all day, indeed he had left earlier than usual, bubbling with some strange excitement and I was surprised not to have heard word of him arriving back sooner.  I was impatient for his company, finding the obsequious priests of the Nahua to be tiresome at best.  Though once I loved nothing more than to listen to their endless sermons filled with platitudes, Barnabas had been teaching me to enjoy a higher quality of interaction, one they were not ready to accept from their god.  I suppose I was becoming - in this regard more than all others - quite spoiled.

When Barnabas finally arrived through the great doors of my temple, doors which had once been propped open to wheel in carts of coal and which now saw holy processions, I was in a poor temper.

"You took your time," I said haughtily, rising up on my coils so that I towered over him, "is my divine company no longer worth your punctuality.

Barnabas looked disappointed for just a moment as he tried to explain, "I didn't realised that we had set a time, Kwetza-" I rankled at his lack of any kind of honorific, though I had been happily letting it slip for weeks, "-but if I've caused any offence, then I am terribly sorry."

I let out a huff of hot air, venting my displeasure, then lowered myself closer to his level, peering at him closely as I asked, "And what great thing delayed you from one such as myself?"

Whether he took my tone seriously or not, I do not know, but he cracked into an enormous smile at that point and almost seemed to glow with his sudden enthusiasm.

"You will not believe what I have found," he said, "but once you see it I am sure that your heart will sing as mine has, for it is the most beautiful thing I've ever discovered."

"More beautiful than me?"

"When you see what it is you will know that you cannot take offence when I say that, yes, it truly is more beautiful."

I bristled, rising back up to glare down at him.

"What you say is tantamount to blasphemy, Barnabas."

"I assure you, my dear Kwetza, it is not!  Please, will you consent to come with me tomorrow to the place where I have found it and see for yourself.  Then you will understand."

I considered his words.  His lack of reverence for me that day rankled and my boredom only made my attitude worse, but I had to admit to a certain curiosity as to whatever this object was that could get Barnabas so excited as to forget the common courtesy which had been the hallmark of his relationship with me up unto this point.

Very slowly I nodded.

"I will come with you, but if what you have found displeases me..." I couldn't finish the sentence.  Angry or not I didn't actually want to harm my friend, so I left the threat hanging.

"Of course, Kwetza, of course, but you will not be disappointed."  He bowed then, as if suddenly it was time to return to formalities.  "I'll come here an hour before dawn then and if you are ready and it pleases you, we can leave before first light."


I consented and Barnabas left in the same high spirits in which he arrived.  I, however, was more sullen.  I was roughly aware that I had treated him poorly, but in the full assurance of my divinity I wasn't sure what that meant.  Surely I could not have made a mistake.  Had Barnabas deserved my anger?  In that moment I felt a stab of an emotion I had experienced only a handful of times before and I was unsure what to do with it, or even what to call it.  I learnt later that it was guilt, and by then I was to be an expert.

The next day Barnabas called on me as he had promised and with nothing to prepare for myself and the Nahua ready to act on my command we did not have to wait very long before we set off into the jungle to find Barnabas' discovery.  It was a long journey and I made it mostly in silence, although Barnabas often interrupted my thoughts with a comment on a tree here or a bird there.  I was somehow both annoyed and amused by his enthusiasm, but I was mostly still pondering my mood of the previous evening.  As is so often the way with these things, dwelling on past feelings often makes them resurface and I grew impatient as the day wore on.

"What is the point of this, Barnabas?  Are we ever going to reach this gewgaw you want to show me?" I snapped eventually, after he had just alerted me to the presence of a small, colourful bird he had called a Dawnlark or a Flutewarbler or some other, similar name.

"Yes," he replied seriously, "it isn't that much farther."  He fell silent and I could tell that he was upset in some way, but I wasn't sure what I could do about it, or even if I should.  I stared at him as we moved on, trying to understand him, to understand this whole misadventure, but to no avail.

A few minutes later, just as Barnabas had said, we arrived in a small clearing and came to a halt before the entrance of a cave.  It was little more than a lightning-shaped crack in the rock, but it was large enough for two men to walk through side-by-side without stooping and it was easily wide enough for someone of my flexibility.

"We're here," Barnabas announced, "this is the place I found yesterday, after following some very interesting trails through the jungle.  What I want to show you is inside, but," he looked to the side, as if he was uncertain how to broach the next point, "I would prefer it if you came with me alone."  He glanced suspiciously as the Nahua and I wondered what was going through his mind.

“Very well,” I said and gestured to our Nahua companions to step aside and remain outside.  They looked concerned, but were unwilling to disobey a command from their god.

Barnabas lit a torch and led the way into the crack, chatting enthusiastically as he did so, his sentences filled with snippets like, “I think you’re really gong to like this,” and, “You won’t believe it!”  For myself, I was signally unimpressed to begin with.  It seemed to be just any other cave with damp-mottled walls and a floor of old bones, even older stones and skittery insects.

The tunnel which began at the crack widened very slightly as we made our way along it, twisting and turning until I was unsure just how deep into the cliffface we had traversed.  Then, quite suddenly, Barnabas announced, “It’s just around this corner,” and I found myself impatient to learn what all the fuss was about.  I picked up speed, urging Barnabas on as we wound through the final twist into a large cavern filled with light.  Suddenly Barnabas’ torch seemed a pathetic thing indeed, for the ceiling of this cavern was riddled with holes through which poured a diffuse daylight, enough to see quite clearly by.

And what a wonder there was to be seen.

“What do you think?” Barnabas asked as we both stared at the object at the centre of the cavern, gleaming brilliantly in that filtered light.

“It is most astonishing,” I said, trying to figure out what such a marvellous stone could be.  It was perfectly ovular, although it seemed to be faceted in such a way that it threw reflected light in all directions, hued in a billion different shades of red, blue, purple and green.

“Isn’t it just?” Barnabas agreed, “It took my breath away when I finally found it yesterday.”

I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye, then asked, “Finally found it?  You suspected something like this might be here?”

“Well, I am a naturalist.  All I had to do was follow the trails in the jungle which all led back to this place to know that I would find something.  I confess that I never expected to discover something quite so beautiful, nor quite so rare.”

“So it is some kind of animal?” I asked, then, feeling foolish as I realised what it must be, added, “An egg?”

“Yes, Kwetza, it is an egg and it is also an answer to a question.”

I turned to look at him full on this time.

“What question?”

“The question of what species you belong to, my friend.”

I bristled.

“I do not belong to any species, human, nor am I merely your friend.  I am a god.  You know this.  Have I not explained it to you many times?”

I will never forget the look of earnest care that came over his face in the moment as he replied to me.  I suspect it will haunt me the rest of my long life.

“Kwetza.  You are not a god.  I have known this since first I met you and only my respect for you and for your Nahua has kept my tongue.  But this egg, Kwetza, this is one of your own kind, lying in wait for the day when it will hatch.  That’s more important than formalities and propriety.  It’s more important than the lie the Nahua have saddled you with.”

“How dare you,” I replied, rising up on my coils to glare down at him.  I wanted him to feel the full frailty of his humanity, to cower before a deity, but he did not flinch.  His expression remained the same, so calm, so caring.

“I’m telling you this for your own good. You have a good life with the Nahua, there’s not doubt of it, but you could have better.  Don’t you realise that they murdered your mother?  That because of them you’ll never know another of your kind?  You’re an hexopterid, Kwetza, a six-winged serpent, and one day you’ll be able to fly!  Don’t you want to fly and be free of the false responsibilities these people have laid upon you?”

“They are not false.  I am their god.  I am your god also and what you say is blasphemy.  I should have you killed for such insolence.  I should-”  I faltered.  It was that look in his eyes.  How could I kill a man who looked at me like that?

“You are not a god, Kwetza.  I have seen much in my life and learned much more and if there is one thing I am certain of it is that you are an animal, just the same as I am.  If there is a god, he is not like you or I, he is greater than that, much greater and what then would he think of one who made claims such as you do?”

The answer came to me then, in my rage.

“You are banished,” I said, trying to sound much calmer than I felt and instead succeeding in producing a hoarse, seething whisper.  “When we step out of this cave you will go your own way into the jungle and you will never return to me or to the Nahua ever again.”

Barnabas opened his mouth, then closed it again.  He looked crestfallen, but he nodded and said, at last, “Very well.  I am sorry.”

He left the cave ahead of me then, quicker than I had expected and by the time I slid out into the dappled midday light of the jungle he was nowhere to be seen.

I made my way back to the settlement with the Nahua, my mind heavy with thoughts I wished bitterly that Barnabas had never placed there.  They were to plague me for the next several weeks until the day when, to my horror, I would see Barnabas one final time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think of this episode!