Sunday 16 June 2013

Episode CXXIII - The Pwinthe of Darkneth

 Silence.  It surrounds moments of dramatic interest like an aura, or a shroud.  In moments of silence we see our heroes deepest longing, their darkest fears.  It is in silence that all the secrets of the world are hid.

The terror of the Barrowhounds and the tension of the tunnels leading to this place demanded something of the silence that followed them.  They wanted silence filled with fear, with the shock and awe of a moment of pure, unrelenting horror.  They served like dramatic arrowheads, each pointing towards a silence where a pin could drop with crystal clarity and yet be drowned out in the ears of all who heard it by the sound of their own terrified, racing blood.

The silence that filled the throne room of the Blood Forts was of a very different sort, however.  It was not shocked, it was not terrified or overawed.  If anything, it might perhaps be described as embarrassed.

"You're... you're Blood Dragon?" Siren demanded, incredulous.

"That'th Lord Bwood Dwagon, weally," the Vampire replied sheepishly.  "The title'th weally wather important, I think."


"I'm sorry," Siren continued, trying to get a hold of the mixture of rage and laughter that was boiling up within her, "we were expecting someone a little more... terrifying."

"But I'm completely tewwified," he replied, before opening his eyes wide with realisation and adding, in a smaller voice, "Oh, I thee."

They stared at each other for a moment then, Siren and her friends on one side and the Vampire, ridiculous in his cape and his over-long teeth, on the other.

Ellis was the first to laugh.

The sound was so shocking that Siren spun on the spot to where her friend stood standing, shaking with mirth.  His head was held back, his mouth open and his eyes, not quite shut, sparkled within their lids, holding unshed tears of amusement.

“I don’t think there’th any call for that…”

Siren turned around to see the Vampire looking confused, embarrassed and a little annoyed.  Then he covered his ears.

"Oh, come on!" she shouted, "it's only laughter."

"Twy withtening to it with Vampiwe heawing!  It weally hurtth."

"Oh this is ridiculous," Siren said in frustration, the anger which had been building since Blood Dragon had first appeared now ready to be unleashed, "most of our party are hiding in your vestibule, terrified that you're going to drink them dry and here you are, barely able to withstand a broadside of laughter!"

"I'm thowwy that I didn’t live up to your ekthpectationth.”  He crossed his arms, “but, well, you are technically invading my houthe.”

“There’s a very good reason for that,” Siren replied, glad to finally be getting somewhere with this pathetic specimen of the undead.  “We’re on the run from Lakhma’s lackeys and we thought this place was deserted.”

The Vampire sighed.  “I twied to make it clear that it wath not!  Didn’t you wead my door?  Didn’t you hear my whithperingth?”

“I did,” Annabella said bluntly, “but you didn’t sound like you do now.”

“Well, hypothatick projection allowth one to thuperthede the limitationth of the flesh.  What about the bawwicade?  It wath there for a weason!”

“Look, we’re sorry if we’ve interrupted you, Lord Blood Dragon,” Franck interrupted without a hint of obsequiousness, “but we really don’t have anywhere else to go, so if you’re not going to kill us I wonder if you might allow us to use some small part of your clearly vast crypt to set up our own operations.”

“And what thort of opewationth did you have in mind?”

“Oh, the usual, hiding in terror, gradually moving to propositions of desperate action, secret plans, smuggled parts, massive machines, saving the world.  That sort of thing.”

Blood Dragon raised an eyebrow.

“Are you, by any chanth, a Philosopher?”

“Why yes, as a matter of fact I am,” Franck replied, offering his finest, thin grin as she stepped up toward the dais.  “The Former Baron Von Spektr, at your service.”

Siren rolled her eyes.  She could already see where this was going.

Turning her back on Franck and the Vampire (and leaving Ellis to his staring) she made her way over to where Harker and Annabella were standing.

“What do you make of all this?” she asked Harker.

“I’m torn somewhere between ‘Vampires aren’t extinct!’ and ‘absolute disappointment, although why I’m disappointed that we’re not being made into thralls is beyond me.”

“I know the feeling,” she replied.  “How are you holding up, Annabella?” she asked, leaning down towards the strange littler girl.

“The whispering has stopped now.  I think he was trying to scare us away.”

Siren nodded.  “Still, if Blood Dragon accepts Franck’s request, we might be able to use that to our advantage.”  She gave the girl a smile, then sighed, “We’re going to have a lot of trouble convincing everyone else, though.”

“Especially my brother,” Harker added.

“He’s braver than you give him credit for.”

“He’s a complete waste of space, Siren.  I have no idea why you like him so much.”

She took a deep breath.  This had been coming for a while.

“He’s sweet, Harker.  He’s a genuinely nice guy and he means well in all he does.”

“He only helps you because he has a crush on you!”

“And you don’t?  I think you’re getting your Blakes mixed up.”

“Siren, you know how I feel about you and… sure I probably wouldn’t be mixed up with half these people without you here, but…”

“But nothing.  I appreciate your help, Harker, whatever your motives, but Gulliver would have helped my friends even if they weren’t my friends.  He may be a bit clumsy and he may be a bit of a wet blanket sometimes, but he’s my friend and I’m proud of him.”

“I just don’t understand,” Harker said with a sigh.

“Then maybe you should get to know him a bit better.  Brothers can be friends, you know.”

Harker opened his mouth to say something else, but was interrupted by Franck’s sudden appearance at their side.

“Lord Blood Dragon has kindly agreed to let us use some of his state rooms as a sort of base of operations for the foreseeable future, provided that I let him get in on some of the Philosophickal side of things.”

“That’s… great, I think,” Siren replied.  “We’d better send for the others.”  She looked meaningfully at Harker, “Perhaps now is your opportunity to make amends?”

The handsome pirate sighed again, “I’ll give it a try,” he said.  “Are you coming Annabella?”

As pirate and girl made their way out of the throne room and into the enormous corridors of the Blood Forts, Siren turned back to Franck and looked a question.

“So now what?” she asked.

“Well,” he replied, “firstly I’m going to help Lord Blood Dragon sort out his hypostatick lighting system-”

“-It’th been theveral hundred yearth thinthe I latht gave it a onthe over-”

“-and then we need to work out how we’re going to overthrow a tentacular deity-”

“-Can’t abide tentacleth mythelf.  Too wubbewy.  Get thtuck in your teeth-“

“-and rid the world of the machinations of the Noble Society-”

“-Ghathtly bunch, fwom what Fwanck’th been telling me-”

“-and all that with only the resources of an ancient crypt-”

“-It had all the mod-conth five thentuwies ago-”

“-a doubly-dispossessed pirate crew and a group of Philosophers, monsters and down and outs so unusual they wouldn’t look out of place in the pick-and-mix at Sparks and Menacers.”  He scratched his head.  “I might need to lie down for a while before I can work it all out…”

Siren didn’t know what to say really, but as Ellis drifted past, staring at all the gilt and marble around him as if he’d never seen walls before, she knew there was one more thing.

“Actually,” she said, biting her lip against the sudden rush of heat to her eyes, “there is one thing I’d like to sort out first.”

“Yes?” Franck asked, a sudden gentleness in his eyes.


“I need to get Ellis back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think of this episode!