Sunday 25 May 2014

Episode CLX - A Moment of Breath


Time was running short.  By the calculations of both Doctor Barkham and the Former Baron they had less than five hours remaining before the obelisks they had worked so hard, and lost Harker, to activate would be shut down again and, if what the Doctor had to say was true - they certainly had no reason to doubt her in this instance - then Lakhma would not give them a second chance.  It was now or never.

Despite this there were arrangements which needed to be made, provisions and armaments sorted and plans finalised before Ember used most of his energy to transport the Absolution and all aboard to Shalereef Harbour.  There would be no lingering about - time was of the essence after all - but, in the midst of it all, Ellis found he had some time on his hands when he wasn't being ordered to do this or that by Siren, or the Former Baron or, though he hated to obey her, Doctor Barkham.

And so it was that he found himself on land, not far from the ship, staring at his hands and waiting for the next moment of frantic action.  And that was where Sarah found him a few minutes later.

"This wasn't how I'd planned to find you," she said softly, her shadow falling over him, her voice making him flinch.

"Oh, yeah?" he replied, trying to sound casual and yet unable to hide the quaver in his voice.

"Yeah," she replied, and took a seat beside him.

He still hadn't looked up from his hands, but he was somehow aware of her every movement, as if he had become sensitised to it.

"I understand that you aren't on the best of terms with Rosetta," she continued.

"You understand that, do you?" Ellis interrupted, looking up at her sharply.  "Do you understand what she has put us through?  Do you understand what she has done to us all... to me..."


"Yes," Sarah replied and now it was her voice that was shaky.  "She told me all about it."

"Oh, and did you have those little chats often whilst you were chumming around?"

"We were not 'chumming', Ellis.  I went with her only because... only because she promised to save the world... because... because she said she would lead me to you."

Ellis held her liquid gaze for a moment, then looked away hurriedly.  They sat in silence for what seemed a very long time before he half-turned back towards her and said in a low voice, "How did you get here, anyway?"

"It's a long story.  There's probably not time but... in the end it was because I was looking for you."

"I'm with Siren now."

"So I can see," Sarah replied and Ellis wondered if he could detect a hint of jealousy in her words, but then she added, "I found someone else too.  He helped me to get here but... I left him behind, I guess."

This time it was Ellis' turn to sound jealous.  "Oh, and what was his name?"

"Thomas," she replied, "I met him at.. at a church."

He gave her a questioning look.  "Church?"

"As I said, it's a long story."

"And now you're here, travelling around with one of our worst enemies..."

"It wasn't a choice... no, that's a lie.  It was a choice, but it wasn't an easy one and I'm not exactly proud of it..." The shakiness came back to her voice once again and Ellis tried to read what was behind her eyes, so strange and yet so familiar at the same time.

I can't believe she's really here, he thought.

She must have read something in his expression because she added, "I betrayed a friend, Ellis, but I didn't know what else to do.  This has been the craziest few months of my life and it just keeps on getting crazier!"

"Tell me about it," he replied with a bitter laugh, "and yet... hard to believe though it is... this place... Shadow... it really is home for me.  I was... I was born here."

"I know," came Sarah's gentle reply.

"Because Rosetta told you."

"Because Rosetta told me.  You were her greatest experiment, to hear her tell of it.  She likes to boast."

"Oh, great."

"But you're not just an experiment to me, Ellis.  Whatever we had... for however long we really had it... that was real and the friendship I feel for you now, that's real too.  I'm glad you found Siren.  I'm sure you're great together.

"And I'm glad we managed to meet before the worst of it," she added, "before Rosetta's butcher's bill."

They were silent again for a moment longer before Ellis whispered,  "You know... those things you said to me that night, the night I left Earth..."

"I'm sorry, Ellis.  I don't suppose I really meant them."

"No... they stayed with me you see and I started to realise, especially once I knew the truth... they were true.  So... I'm the one who should be sorry.  I was a rubbish boyfriend by the end, I guess."

Sarah sighed.  "Ellis... it's clear there were reasons for all that... and you know.. at the start... you were a pretty amazing boyfriend."

"Thanks, but.. I think I was pre-conditioned for all that."

"There's only so much Rosetta could have made you do.  SHe made you believe certain things about yourself and you acted accordingly, but what you did and what you felt was all you.  So what if it was based on false information - the personality behind it was all yours."

He glanced at her, about to ask her if she could be so sure, but instead reading the truth of what she had said in her eyes.  And maybe it was true.  He didn't know, but he supposed it no longer mattered.  He was beginning to get a handle on who he was now, and that was the really important thing.

"At some point you are going to have to tell me the whole story of your time here," he said.

"And you..."

"Well," he began, but a voice called out across the quayside - the unmistakable voice of the Former Baron, and Ellis new he was needed once more.

"I'm sorry," he said, "I guess that's me."

"Go on," she replied, "we'll talk again later."


The next half an hour was a blur of activity.  Ellis wasn't sure he had ever done so much work in all his life.  There were munitions to carry, fuel to store, plans to listen in on and crew members to update with those same, revised plans.  It seemed endless and everything happened in cycles and circles, rotations and revolutions, so that in the course of a few minutes he might do three different things he had done some version of only a few minutes previously.

Eventually, however, there was nothing left to do and no time left to do it in anyway.  The Absolution was cut free from her berth, to drift out a little way into the channel that led out to Lake Nightglass, then Ember stood on deck, seemed to concentrate for a little while and, with no fanfare or drumroll, the world turned white.


The drums came after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think of this episode!