Sunday 26 August 2012

Episode LXXXIII - The Noble Society



Siren didn't have time to question, or to complain, because no sooner had the sharp-nosed clerk informed her of her fate than she was being 'ushered' along another corridor by a new pair of guards, this time dressed in waistcoats with military epaulettes and the red and black colours of Skullbridge.  This time she tried to fight.  She had no desire to see Doctor Barkham ever again and if she was in this 'Fracture' along with Marveille then it was a place she no longer wished to linger.  She had learnt more than she had wanted to and now it was time to leave.

But she couldn't leave.  The guards were stronger than she was.  Thick muscles bulged beneath their dress shirts and their grips were as vice-like as any Siren had experienced.  She struggled against them for a while, slowing their progress down the marble-floored corridor for a little while, but her feet couldn't get purchase and soon she was just been dragged along, her toes trailing along the floor.  It was humiliating and not at all how Siren had intended to spend the afternoon.

Eventually the two guards pulled her back onto her feet before a grand set of carved wooden doors.  One of them rapped lightly on the wood, displaying a gentleness which had been conspicuously lacking during the journey from the foyer, and then both guards stood to attention, Siren held firmly between them as they waited for a response.  After a moment the door cracked open and a tiny old man peered out.  He was dressed in the unmistakable livery of a butler, but he still managed to look at Siren like she was many rungs beneath her on the great ladder of fortune.  Given that she was the only one of those present currently being held captive by a pair men dressed like militant cocktail waiters, perhaps she was.

"Siren," he said.  It wasn't a question.  It was barely even a statement of fact.  It came out sounding most like a weary sigh, as if all this was far too much effort for a man of his lofty station.  Siren had never seen a butler quite like him.

The man vanished back inside the room and the door closed.  It remained so for another couple of minutes, but, despite Siren's best efforts, she could hear nothing of what was going on on the other side of it to cause the delay.

At last the door opened once more, this time wide enough for the two guards to pull Siren into the lush study beyond.  Her first thoughts upon seeing the opulent room, so full of comfy leather chairs, solid desks and lined with bookshelves brimming with precious tomes, was Franck would just love this.  Her second thought, which came to her as she took note of just who else was in the room with her was less positive and less repeatable.


There was Marveille, of course, propping his face up one hand and wearing a devious smile.  Siren wondered if he had always looked that way, or if she was just interpreting his expression through the benefit of past experiences.  Sitting beside Marveille were a number of other well-dressed Ladies and Gentlemen, none of whom Siren recognised but it was probably safe to assume that they too were Philosophers of one sort or another.  There was also a tall, thin man who, judging by the grey and pronounced widow's peak in his otherwise thick, black hair, was approaching his middle years.  He looked worryingly familiar and it took Siren a while to realise that she had never met him before, only heard about him, for he was almost certainly Franck's nephew, Baron Tiberius Von Spektr.  Also present, draped over a chair at the back of the room, was what looked, at first, like a pile of random clockwork parts and an old fish bowl, but as Siren tried to work out what it was two things happened.  Firstly it moved, reaching over for a notebook sitting on a small end table nearby and secondly an image flickered across the glass of the fish bowl, revealing the grizzled visage of Adelbert Von Spektr.

This is fast becoming a family reunion, Siren thought, wishing with all her heart that Franck were there to enjoy it, for then she would have at least one ally in the room.

The final figure, reclined in the largest chair and nearest a huge, warm fireplace mantled in gold and marble, was the president of the Noble Society of Hypostatick Philosophers, the Countess of Skullbridge, Doctor Rosetta Barkham.  She looked older than the last time Siren had seen her and she had a strange shimmering scar down one side of her face.  It seemed to distort the light and made Siren want to rub her eyes any time she looked at it.

"It's good to see you again Siren," Doctor Barkham purred in greeting, "I never would have thought we would find you here, of all places, but it seems your timing was quite fortuitous indeed."

“She found zis Fracture ‘neath the sea,” tittered Marveille, “and came inside in time for tea!”

Siren glared at him, but he returned that glare with a slightly sickly smile of his own and suddenly Siren found it easier to look back at the doctor, who appeared to be waiting for her to say something.  She was clearly no less fond of drama than she had been in the Silverspire, which brought a few questions to mind.

“How did you escape?  As far as we could tell almost all of the Stoneskins were killed by the daemon Franck set free.  How did it not go after you?”

“Oh, it went after me, of that I can assure you,” she grimaced, “but I am a more formidable Philosopher than even your Former Baron and I was able to defend myself and, eventually, find a way out before the Silverspire was ripped back into the Aether, undoing years of effort.”

“I feel for you, I really do, especially after you kidnapped me and my friends, threatened Ellis’ world and then your ever-so-noble accomplices set on a Lich on us and killed half my crew.  I’m all sympathy, me.”

“I had suspected you might be,” Doctor Barkham replied calmly, “but even so, it will be in your interests to co-operate, I think.”

Siren made a show of raising an eyebrow.

“Co-operate, how?  Oh, I get it, this is that fortuitous timing thing you were talking about, how I just happen to stumble in here at the apex of some new scheme and have just the right information or can serve as the perfect slice of bait for your barbaric hook.  Am I right?”

“Something like that.”

“You shouldn’t take such cheek from the girl,” came Adelbert’s voice from the back of the room.  “In my day we’d have already flayed her and fed her to the Necroformes.”

“Which is why you are a Geist, Uncle, and Rosetta is in charge,” replied Tiberius.  His voice was calm, cool and commanding and sent a chill down Siren’s spine.

“Thank you Tiberius,” Rosetta smiled indulgently, then drew her eyebrows into a scowl, “but I can fight my own battles.”

“You can?” Siren replied with a grin, “then just untie me and we can settle this like women!”

“Very droll, but that’s not going help me very much, now, is it?  No, there are far more important matters at stake here than petty vengeances, yours and mine included.”

“I beg to differ.”

“Beg all you like, it might suit you in those rags.” She glanced at the faces of the guards who still held Siren tight in the middle of the room.  “If she makes another quip I want her to feel the backs of your hands.  Am I clear?”

“Yes, Ma’am,” they replied in chorus.  Siren resisted the urge to comment.  As fun as it could be to wind Doctor Barkham up, she wanted to make it out of Fracture in one piece.

“Now that I have your attention,” Doctor Barkham continued, returning her gaze to her captive, “I’ll explain why we need you.  There is some… unfinished business relating to the Blackfeather incident which I need to clear up before we can advance to the next stage of our operations.  To do this, I need access to your friends.  M. Marveille was supposed to get what we needed whilst he infiltrated your little cadre, but it seemed he had a more flamboyant scheme in mind himself and he failed to secure the one thing I had asked of him,”  She turned to glare at Marveille

“I ‘ad aimed a little to ‘igh, I do sink, and now ‘ere I am in ze dregs of ze drink!”

“Yes, quite amusing, I’m sure, Marveille, but if it happens again…”  She returned her gaze to Siren.  “Anyway, we raided the Former Baron’s place in Shalereef, but to no avail.  There appears to have been no one there for weeks, just a note left by a Miss. Barkcastle.  We followed that lead as well, but she was unable to tell us where you all where – even under duress!”

“You better not have harmed her!” Siren shouted in the split second before one of the guard slapped her across the face, momentarily blinding her with pain.

“I thought I’d made myself clear about talking back, Siren.  Please do not do it again.  Anyway, Miss Barkcastle is quite safe.  She has a very comfortable apartment here in the city.  It’s best we are able to keep an eye on people like her.”

She took a sip from a dainty porcelain tea cup resting on a side table, then focussed on Siren once more.  “So, you see, I need something from your friends, but don’t know where they might be, then you show up, all unannounced and I think – perfect timing!  Now I can get what I want, and I’m always much more pleasant to be around when I get what I want.”

“You want Ellis,” Siren said and, after a glance from the doctor, there was no reprisal.

“What makes you think that?” Doctor Barkham asked with excessive calm.

“You created him, didn’t you.  All that nonsense about him not really being important in the Silverspire, you were just saying that to put us off the trail, but when we had him examined by Doctor Gristfinkle-”

“That old quack!” Rosetta laughed.

“-when we had  him examined, Doctor Gristfinkle confirmed that he was a construct.  I’ve been thinking about it ever since and you are the only person who could be responsible.”

            The Countess sighed, “Very well, you’ve got me.  Ellis is my greatest creation, the pinnacle of my Philosophy and the lynchpin of my plan to recreate the Breakthrough.  I was able to send him through first, you see, absorb a bit of the world, become a part of it, so that when I summoned him back he would rip an existential hole large enough to pull the Silverspire out of the Aether.”

            “But you failed.  The Silverspire has gone.”

            “And yet, I am not done with Ellis.  He is mine and there are other ways to realise my designs.  After all, that’s why this society exists!  We will recreate the Breakthrough.  It was the greatest act of Hypostatick Philosophy ever achieved and we must prove it can be done again, successfully this time.”

            “If you want Ellis so badly, why don’t you just summon him here.”

            She threw up her arms in exasperation.  “I’ve tried! The stupid boy has gone and got himself some kind of protection, now, hasn’t he!”  She lowered her arms again carefully, rested her hands neatly in her lap, then continued, “No, the only way to do this is the old fashioned way.  I need Ellis in my hands and you will help me achieve that.”

            “Why?”

            “Because it is in Ellis’ best interests.  I am, after all, his mother, in a manner of speaking.”

            “You’re still a monster.  Why would I help you by handing over my friend?”

            “If he doesn’t come back to me he’ll eventually wind down and die.  How about that?”

            “We’ve already jumped that hurdle.  Ellis is still alive, and from what I can tell the best way to make sure he remains so is to keep him out of your grasp!”

            Doctor Barkham nodded and then suddenly another backhand slap cut across Siren’s vision.  She tried to duck and evade it, but with her arms and legs tied and her body held so rigid it was difficult to be as flexible as she would be usually.  Again the pain was momentarily blinding and she feared that this one would turn into a black eye.

            “I don’t like being refused, Siren.  I don’t like it at all, but just right now it is ruining my afternoon tea.”  She focussed on the guards again and commanded, “take her away and let her stew in the dungeon for a while.  We’ll see if that makes her any more co-operative.”  Then she waved her hand and suddenly Siren was being dragged backwards, out through the doors into the corridor, along the corridor and into the street, across streets, plazas, then through a dark door and down, down and down into deep dripping darkness, all the time wishing there was a way she could ring Doctor Barkham’s neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think of this episode!